Monday, August 17, 2020

I HEARD FROM GOD...

 “But Dad, how can you know for sure that God is calling you back to Jamaica?” That question from my daughter-in-law was prominent among those asked by younger members of my family. Like any other millennial, my daughter-in-law wanted specifics.

Her question presupposed a relationship with God. A relationship that enables one to hear His voice. Such a relationship can only exist if one first accepts the existence and availability of a Living God. Thankfully, my worldview resonates with a theology that accepts the existence of God and affirms His ability to communicate with His creatures.

Nature testifies to God's existence and ability to communicate. This was Paul’s understanding when he wrote to the Christians at Rome - “What may be known of God is manifest in them [godless people] for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:19, 20).

 

Like Paul, the Psalmist clearly articulates God’s voice in nature (Psalm 19:1-6). The writer to the book of Hebrews contends that God speaks through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:2). Again in Hebrews we read: “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to the dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).

 

But did God speak to me specifically when I decided to return to Jamaica to pastor a church? Yes, God did. The first nudge came from the Christians in the church. Because of their heritage, they have never had a full-time pastor. Throughout their sixty-year history, they used itinerant preachers for pulpit ministry. Nothing from their history should have prompted their invitation. Yet, they felt inclined to invite me to be their inaugural pastor.

 

The leadership at the church never formally considered a resident pastor. However, upon learning of interests within the congregation, the leaders were willing to pray and consider the option of a resident pastor. The growing list of unsolicited favours seemed to be sending a message of God’s approval on the venture.

 

In addition to the institutional affirmation, I listened to hear the voice of God as I read the Scriptures. My structured daily readings do not allow me to select preferred texts. It was during one such reading, I came across this passage:

“The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed. The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears, I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away” (Isaiah 50:4-5).

 

So, the mission to Jamaica is one for which I am academically equipped. It is one to which I was invited to serve. Unsolicited endorsement continue to flow from a variety of sources. What appeared to be an arbitrary text from the Bible was used to affirm my decision. Confirmation also arose from hearing sermons and songs. And, most important for me was confirmation from my wife of 47 years.

 

In seeking to follow the voice of God, Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556) believed we must become indifferent or totally open to anything but the will of God. Our sole desire must be to obey what we believe God is saying to us. Personal preferences and monetary rewards must never influence the outcome. One’s sole desire must be obedience.

 

Agreed, this posture makes one vulnerable. Personal ambitions are sometimes sacrificed. At times, institutions exploit the submissive attitude and obedient disposition of people who are called. Despite these negatives, obedience to the call of God should not be undermined. This is not naivety. Rather, responding to God’s call is a focused, intentional attempt to seek joy in obedience to God’s voice alone.

 

Unlike the American singer Frank Sinatra, who sang I Did it My Way, the obedient Christian has one option, to do it God’s way.

3 comments:

Barbara G said...

Dear David and Launa-
What a testimony! Thank you for sharing this. I know you! If you say you heard God speak to you I believe you!
I am praying for new position in God's Kingdom. You are not "going back" when you obey God. He has something NEW for the two of you to do!

God bless and guide you. May He put a hedge around you. May He strengthen you when you are weak and give you peaceful rest.
Love
Your sister
Barbara

Unknown said...

Well said, my brother. I thank the Lord for me. I wish you and Launa, God's richest blessings. Be blest

Pastor Tom said...

as usual enjoy the message ,It brought me back to 1986 when the LORD SPOKE TO ME YES BY WAKING ME IN THE EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING TO SPEAK TO ME ABOUT QUIETING MY JOB FOR FULL TIME MINISTRY. THE REACTION FROM EVERYONE CLOSE TO ME WAS I WAS NUTS EVEN I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY just PURCHASED A HOUSE AND GOING TO LOOSE IT BUT LIKE YOU MY WIFE SAID IS GOD WANTS US TO DO IT HOUSE NOT IMPORTANT... Seeking the Lord direction in His word like you He confirmed it passages from Duet were He would bring the Rain in Due Season.. Needless to say I left my Job in a week for full time Ministry ... That was 34 years ago still in Ministry never lost my house and God is still bring the rain in Due Season... God Bless
BTW My wife of 44 years went to be with the Lord 2 weeks ago Praise The Lord She Moved in to Her mansion
Dave your message took back to an exciting time obeying the Lord is always an adventure