Sunday, July 15, 2012

WHY ISRAEL?

A few weeks ago Dr. Rich Freeman addressed the congregation at the church I pastor. The attendance was about one percent of the congregation he addressed the previous week. Thankfully, the attendance did not diminish the impact of his ministry.

Dr. Freeman is a national executive with Chosen People Ministries – an international ministry to Jewish people. It was during one of our private conversations I learned that Rich and his wife were married on the same day as my wife and I. That information led to our discussing our plans for our 40th anniversary in 2013. We were hoping to visit Israel – that hope seemed dim, until that meeting. 

Rich will be leading a tour to the Holy Land in 2013 and invited us to join him. He explained how my wife and I could serve as guest-hosts, and thus make our anniversary plans affordable. Our closest friends would know that a visit to the Holy Land has been a life-long dream for us. Actually, such a visit would be better described as a passion.

My passion was enhanced after pursuing a graduate course in Geography of Bible Lands with Dr. Barry Beitzel at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Dr. Beitzel’s knowledge of this subject is well known and respected globally. It was under his tutelage I learned about the geology, physical topography, hydrology and climate of the land of Israel. That knowledge enriched my appreciation for biblical texts like those which described Israel as “the land of milk and honey.”                  

I have since taught courses in Geography of the Bible, and Old and New Testament backgrounds. In addition, my interest in Archaeology and Near Eastern Studies has been growing since meeting Dr. Beitzel in the nineties. Today, I smile whenever my Jewish students compliment me for my knowledge of the land – little do they know that I’ve never been to Israel.

But, why should I want to go? Let me first establish that my passion has nothing to do with providing political endorsement to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Neither is it my intention to see Israel as Muslims see Mecca, or Catholics see the Vatican. For me, wanting to go to Israel is not like wanting to go on a pilgrimage. 

I want to experience some of what I have been teaching for years. I need to experience a sense of space. In Galilee, I want to sense what it feels like to be 700 feet below sea level and see the Sea of Galilee, the lowest body of fresh water on earth. While in the region, I want to get a sense of the distances Jesus traveled. I want to see one of the first century boats that was discovered a few years ago.

I want to experience the sense of presence when I read my Bible about places like Bethsaida, Jordan or Jerusalem. I understand that some of the physical dimensions have changed in some areas, since the days of Jesus. For instance, the Sea of Galilee is much smaller. I also understand that some specific locations are questionable. Even with these questions, I believe there are enough certainties to make the visit a rich experience. 

I almost forgot to tell you about my excitement to see the region of the Dead Sea. Imagine standing at the lowest point on earth – 1,300 feet below sea level, almost five times lower than the Death Valley in California. The Dead Sea is the most saline body of water in the world. Imagine, throwing yourself in the Dead Sea and not sink in the 500 square miles of water, devoid of all aquatic life.

After years of studying the archaeology of the land I am also eager to see and handle artifacts. I can’t wait to get into the Jar-shaped Israel Museum, home of the Dead Sea Scrolls – the most significant archaeological discovery of the twentieth century.

I am hoping the tour guide will allow me to visit my family’s only Jewish friend in Jerusalem. For years, she has been supplying me with daily news. When coupled with my daily reading of the Jerusalem Post, you can probably understand why I am eager to visit Israel.

However, I do not want to go alone. Actually, I may not be able to go if no one accompanies my wife and me. As guest-host, Chosen People Ministries is expecting me to bring along other interested parties. If you would like to join me, leave a comment below and I will send you more information, or contact:

JDI Travel Inc., (Michigan).
Telephone 248-340-9191 (Extension 10);
Electronic mail - info[at]jditravel.com

I almost forgot to tell you that while in Israel, those who come with me will be able to visit the Jordan River, Capernaum, Mt of Beatitudes, the Garden of Gethsemane, Mount of Olives, the Western Wall, and Qumran. Be prepared for much kosher foods and a communion service at the Garden Tomb.


Something tells me, this trip will be a life-changing experience.

3 comments:

eddie said...

Please send details.

Garthlyn said...

Send me some details and I will think and pray about it.:)Garthlyn

Mike Clements said...

I would love more information!